Sunday, April 22, 2012

abilene or san angelo?

Hi all and thanks for reading.



I have a road trip planned for this Christmas where I%26#39;m driving from Tucson to Houston to visit family. I%26#39;m getting the car for a week and am not spending the entire with the family so that I can see stuff on the way back (especially Big Bend, which I love).



On the way back (or maybe there), I%26#39;m looking to spend a night in either San Angelo or Abilene. I always like to stay Downtown, and like walkable, vibrant Downtown areas with restaurants, nightlife, and, ideally, a brewpub.



The last time I drove through Texas I made sure to pass through San Angelo and quite liked it. My aunt also lived there for a time and spoke well of it, although she said it was a little dull.



I drove through Abilene a few years ago on a trip to Palo Duro and recall it being somewhat sprawling but I don%26#39;t remember much about the Downtown area. However, Abilene seems to actually have hotels Downtown whereas San Angelo only has a couple 1/2 mile or so away.



Any opinions?



Thanks in advance.



abilene or san angelo?


I am not sure what kind of nightlife you are looking for and how old you are, these two towns are not known for big night time scenes unless you are college age and want to hang with the university crowd. Also, Abilene is in a dry county.





Austin has the best nighttime scene in Texas if you are in the under 30-40 crowd. However, if you are looking to visit some place new and a more over 30-40+ mood, try Midland. The Hilton is downtown (newly remodeled), there is a great restaurant and bar across the street (Wall Street Bar and Grill), and also a wonderful Italian restaurant/ wine bar also in walking distance (Luigis). Midland is also about 3 hours driving distance from Fort Davis, nestled in the Guadalupe Mountains and the home of the McDonald Observatory (great tours and nighttime Star Parties...that is my idea of a great night time scene!)





abilene or san angelo?


Thanks for the reply.



I%26#39;m 25, but certainly done with the college thing and generally prefer non-frat bars but also nothing too cowboy dive.



I%26#39;ve never been big on Midland or Odessa. The Hilton in Midland is a little too pricey for me also.



I didn%26#39;t even realize that Abilene was in a dry county though, so that certainly pushes me more toward San Angelo.



Since I spent several years in Houston, I%26#39;ve been to Austin lots of times and was looking for a Texas town that I haven%26#39;t really checked out before. I may end up in Austin though.



There%26#39;s also Waco and New Braunfels. Any opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment