Friday, April 27, 2012

Is the Water light blue like in Cancun?

Thinking about a trip here and haven%26#39;t seem much info on the beaches (nice sand) or the water color.





Spoiled by the Carribean





Any help?



Is the Water light blue like in Cancun?


The water and sand are the nicest in the state, but if you%26#39;ve been spoiled by the Carribean, you%26#39;ll want to go elsewhere. Florida panhandle beaches are probably your only option stateside. Sorry to burst your bubble.



Is the Water light blue like in Cancun?


totally! all water at texas beaches is a lovely greenish-brown color where you can%26#39;t see your feet in knee deep water. yuck! and if you%26#39;re really lucky you%26#39;ll get some nice tar on you from the oil drilling going on in the gulf. avoid texas beaches....i%26#39;m sure i%26#39;ll have some locals get angry at me....but texas beaches stink.




ohhhh please don%26#39;t say that! Next weekend I will be traveling 11 hours to come to SPI... Tell me your exagerating!




i didn%26#39;t mean to scare you....but i%26#39;m pretty accurate with respect to the water....you may get lucky and it may clearer than what i%26#39;m describing, but don%26#39;t count on it. the good thing is that the sand on the beaches and the atmosphere of SPI is really nice. i personally spend more time walking up/down the beach and hanging at the hotel pool/bar, then actually swimming in the ocean. you%26#39;ll have a good time, and if the water is better than what i%26#39;m describing, you%26#39;ll be pleasantly surprised.




Oh, I think TexasHam is having a bad day. While the water at SPI is not like Mexico and the sand isn%26#39;t as white as Florida, it sure beats the beaches of North Dakota (or Indiana). If you want to look at live pictures of what the water looks like currently go to www.spadre.com and see pictures of the gulf and bay.





As long as there isn%26#39;t a big storm churning things up in the gulf, the water should be a nice blue green. The tar of late hasn%26#39;t been a big problem either. Spent 2 weeks there last month with daily walks on the beach and not once did I get tar on my feet...the water was also the clearest I have seen it in a long time.





Don%26#39;t worry, rrhodes, you will have a good time and enjoy the beach and water, too.




Redrhodes, beach water will be similar to Cameron or Holly Beach to give you a frame of reference. Like THam said the island%26#39;s amenities are great and you should have a fun time. I%26#39;ve never been to Destin, but after all I%26#39;ve heard, If I lived in LA, I think I head east next time. Plus you could hit New Orleans on you%26#39;re way.





Maybe someone who%26#39;s been to both can help us out. I%26#39;m also interested to hear how the crowds compare. My guess is that SPI is less crowded.




yep, i was having a bad day yesterday, and i%26#39;m sure the water at SPI will be just fine. it%26#39;s just that once you%26#39;ve been to Cancun and get spoiled by white powder beaches and the crystal clear water where you can see for 200+ feet, it%26#39;s tough to go to any beach after that. you%26#39;ll have a great time, and i%26#39;m sorry if i painted a bad picture. : - )




Well, ok I%26#39;ve been to the Bahamas, I%26#39;ve been to Playa Del Carmen, I%26#39;ve been to Destin (everyone where I live goes to Destin!), I%26#39;ve been to Gulf Shores...I%26#39;ve also been to Holly Beach and Galveston many times when I was little. I%26#39;ve never been to South Padre Island and since my half-sister lives in San Antonio we decided to meet up here. So...of course I%26#39;m not going for the water...but it has always looked so beautiful in magazines and brochures, I%26#39;ve always wanted to go. And the in the pictures the water always looks a beautiful torquise-blue, so yeah, I%26#39;m a little dissapointed to hear the comments. But it isn%26#39;t all about the water and I actually don%26#39;t go in much, I really just like relaxing on the beach, watching the kids play. But I will definitely let you know my thoughts when I get back. I%26#39;m just glad to hear the area is beautiful!




was in so. padre two weeks ago....stayed at suntide ii. my first thought on looking out at the water from our balcony...was that the water was a beautiful blue!!! and the sand in that area was nice and clean. our friends were staying on down at bahia mar.....YUK! the black sand was icky!!! if i knew how to post a picture i would.....i took a gorgeous one of the water. go and ENJOY :)




We just returned from SPI last Thursday. Like yourself, I had the same questions about the water. I never trust the brochures and always wonder if they have been ';color enhanced';.



I am from Dallas and have been to Galveston several times, which is disappointing. I agreed to give SPI a chance in hopes that it was nicer than Galveston. Where SPI is not like Cancun, it is definitely the best beach in texas. The water was lovely....blue green color. This past week, I could see my feet when waist high in the water. It was very clear. The water temperature was great.



The water in the bay area is a beautiful turquoise color. We did a dolphin watch cruise and the water in the bay was so lovely.



We had such a great time in Padre. We stayed at La Copa. Great rates and the hotel is right on the beach. We are already booked to go back in October. I just submitted a review for La Copa and posted some pics of the water. I promise these were not ';color enhanced';. Hope you have a great visit! We drove 9 hours and it was worth it!!




No comments:

Post a Comment