Friday, April 27, 2012

big bend in the fall

coming to BB in the middle of september--what can we expect for temperatures? How full are the backcountry campsites (in the chisos)during this time? What is estimated time (55 yr.old flatlanders with backpacks not use to the heat but who hike alot in the Tetons/Wind River/Yellowstone) from Chisos lodge to boot canyon (is it really only 4.5miles). Would only have two nights in backcountry--any suggestions? Any information is appreciated!!!





big bend in the fall


Weather can be all over the map, but probably plenty warm. I%26#39;ve been rafting during the Thanksgiving break. Crowds should be light. It sounds like you%26#39;re experienced hikers; hiking time should be what ever the norm is for you.



big bend in the fall


We are also considering canoeing the Rio grande--any suggestions for vendors and section of the river?




I like Far Flung adventures http://www.farflung.com/tx/




I%26#39;m also thinking about going in Sept, probably the last week. August and September are supposed to be the slowest months according to their site.





I have only been once before at the end of April and it was incredibly hot then! I didn%26#39;t stay in the backcountry when I was there, we did the Basin instead and it was wonderful!




Hi Meanjean



We visited Big Bend 3rd week of september last year and it was a real highlight. We%26#39;ve been to all western NP%26#39;s and BB is in our top ten. We stayed in the Chisos Mountain Lodge at $ 104,-- without a reservation but were very lucky to have a room because of a cancellation. The campsides are close to the lodge and they still had free spots. The area is breathtaking and wildlife abundant. Did not see one of the 50 mountainlions though but they probably saw us! It was great weather too. It was between 80 and 90 and nights were cool not cold. Maybe make a reservation to the campground (if possible). We visited the park by car making short hikes and I am not much of a hiker but liked it very much. Always bring enough water and let the ranger know where you are (making long hikes). Don%26#39;t speed. We drove accidentally (yes, accidentally!!) 60 mph, 45 allowed, and were stops. No ticket though. The officer was forgiving. wow. BB is one of those places we whished we had a tent instead of staying in a hotel.



Have fun!



Tet{;o)-






Kiddos are back in school so crowds should be much smaller. Heed the speed limits (45 on all of the roads which is ridiculous) I was not as lucky as Tet, 6am on a Monday in October, not a soul in sight, I%26#39;m doing 75 (on purpose) I%26#39;ve got hundreds of miles ahead of me, come over a rise, travel a hundred yards and lights come on, cost me over a hundred bucks!




Sorry to hear Octoboy, maybe it was my wife%26#39;s smile........



And yes, 45 Miles on deserted widespaced roads is foolish.



Drove from BB to Marathon, we were the only and yes at 45 mph!




Hey MJ...if you%26#39;re still around I would like to know how your outing to BB went. I am headed that way on Saturday, with a 2-day stop-off @ Balmorhea State Park (Davis Mountains).



Last year we went to Cloudcroft, New Mexico and then on to Mt Lemmon in Arizona...great outing....a bear ravaged our campsite...no bear warnings or bear bunkers. I forgot to put our ice chest in the car and he broke into it and drank all of my cokes and all of my coffee creamer...I guess he didn%26#39;t like my husband%26#39;s brand of beer because he didn%26#39;t mess with it.



Hey, my daughter is working in one of your favorite areas. She works at Signal Mountain Lodge (Grand Teton). Last year she worked at Togwotee Lodge (Grand Teton). The year before that she worked at Going To The Sun Lodge (Glacier NP). I have no idea where she gets her adventurous trait from (hehe).



Anyway, if you%26#39;re still out there hit me..I would love to hear about your visit. And let me know if I need to take along some bear spray. My daughter says I should always have it with me in case I run into a jerk. I reckon it doubles as an Anti-Jerk Deterent as well as an Anti-Bear Deterent (hehe)




  • lip gloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment