Friday, April 27, 2012

theatre district

I thinking about coming to Houston in a few weeks to surprise a friend that%26#39;s performing in a play at TUTS (theatre under the stars I think). I%26#39;ve never been to Houston and have no idea what the city is like. When I go to New York I know I can get a decent hotel in the theatre district and everything...theatres...restaurants...is within easy and safe walking distant from my hotel. Is this true of Houston? I have no idea where TUTS is located so finding a hotel close by is challenging. Is it downtown, uptown...? All I know is it is on bagby street (Hobby Center For The Performing arts). Also, what airport would be best for me to fly into? Any suggestions on hotels, transportation, restaurants would be greatly appreciated.



theatre district


I went to www.thehobbycenter.org for some general info, and there were hotels partners listed for preferred rates. They are: Four Seasons Hotel, Hotel ICON, and Sam Houston Hotel. Some of the other downtown hotels are: The Lancaster and Doubletree at Allen Center.



Either airport (IAH-Bush or Hobby) will be acceptable. Hobby is closer and you may be able to fly Southwest for better fares, so I would advise to start there.



Houston has light rail service in parts of the city. www.ridemetro.org will give maps.





Welcome to Houston!



theatre district


All of the above mentioned hotels are quite nice. I would also add the Magnolia. If you are on a tighter budget then look at the new Marriot Courtyard (in a historical building) and also the Crowne Plaza. Downtown is much better than it was before the rail opened. There are certainly several good restaurants downtown. One of the better ones is actually in the Hobby Center iteself, Cafe Artiste. One caveat, some of the trendier nightlife has moved to midtown and left several vacant buildings. There are still plenty of places to go and downtown Houston is as safe as most large cities. I feel comfortable walking downtown, but it is not nearly as busy as NYC. Other restaurants to consider dwontown are the one in the Lancaster, Zula, Vic and Anthony%26#39;s and Quattro in the Four Seasons (really good).




Thank you all for your advice. It will make it much easier for me to plan my trip. I%26#39;m really excited about seeing Houston!




Wouldn%26#39;t stay in Courtyard Marriot or Crown Plaza - it is too far to be ';safe'; walking distance to the theatre district. Hotels are nice - but desolate area at night. Better off with with the Magnolia, Lancaster or Hotel Icon. Busy, well-heeled area and safe to walk to the theatre district and entertainment venues.




Texas7-- thanks for the advice. What about the Doubletree Hotel at 400 Dallas st? Is it close enough to the Hobby Center to walk and would it be safe to do so at night, after the play-- around 10:30? Also, how easy is it to get a cab in Houston, especially at that time of night? Is it like other big cities where you can just flag a cab from the street?




Doubletree is closer but still a bit of a walk from all the action so it would be a bit desolate as you got near your hotel in the evening. There are cabs but you don%26#39;t see them like you would in New York where there is one every few minutes. You usually have to call for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment