Friday, April 27, 2012

Houston nightlife, ';more to it than the Rodeo';.

Alright, just did research for a trip to Acapulco on tripadvisor and it got me thinking about how up to date these forums really are. So I decided to check out Houston, my city. Turns out that I see nothing about our trendy nightlife crowd.


So here%26#39;s the scoop and I promise to update this forum atleast once a month.


Houston has plenty to do besides the museums, theatre and RODEO.



First off some local magazines to pick up and get the scoop on Houston. Pick up 002 magazine, PaperCity, Envy, or Houston, all are packed with the trendiest places to eat, socialize and party. You can pick one up at Mid-town, Galleria area (usually smaller boutiques) or some restaurants, I think maybe Cafe Express.



Now for the good stuff, places to dine:


Sushi - Rickshaw, Uptown Sushi, but my favorite - Zake. All 3 sushi restaurants have upbeat music to get you in the mood for your club debut.


Spanish - Lupe Tortillas (cheap, low-key but delicious), Mi Luna (spanish tapas, live bands on Thurs., Fri., and Sat.), Hugos (great food, nice ambience)



A few other favorites: Ferrago%26#39;s (mid-town,) Sullivan%26#39;s (great steak and swing around the bar for jazz music at the Ringside, an older classy crowd), My absolute favorite, Dharma%26#39;s Cafe - a hidden gem, romantic small cafe w/ the best food. My b-friend and I eat for around $50, this include wine, food, dessert and coffee.



You really can%26#39;t go wrong with dining in Houston we have some of the best restaurants, hence the 2nd fattest city.



Nitelife - at the moment:


Lounges - Zimm%26#39;s, Deco, Belvedere


Clubs - Crome, Hue, Esco Bar, and Bond.



Houston is also popular for it%26#39;s Brunch on Sundays. Several places to go. The biggest crowds hit, La Strada, Benjy%26#39;s or Ferrago%26#39;s then The Social or Red Door, then Esco or Bond.



Houston nightlife, ';more to it than the Rodeo';.


You might consider putting this information in the members guide. Good chance folks will look there too.



Houston nightlife, ';more to it than the Rodeo';.


alonsocyn - you%26#39;re right about some reviews being outdated, but you don%26#39;t get the 20-something crowd in here as much as other websites. But, it%26#39;s great that your are posting that great info!





PS - Don%26#39;t forget Hugo%26#39;s awesome sunday brunch!




Restaurant suggestions, please!



Any favorite southern style food(southern fried chicken,potatoe salad,cornbread,steak,etc. restaurants that you would recommend or maybe even New Orleans or southern style seafood(fried fresh shrimp,coleslaw,hush puppies) places for lunch and/or dinner. Breakfast suggestions-Grits, eggs,waffles,country ham,pancakes,etc.






Lady鈥?





I really enjoy Sudie鈥檚 Catfish house for my all-you-can eat catfish fix. I don鈥檛 really enjoy grits, but try Cracker Barrel ( I know it鈥檚 a chain)





Any other ideas?




Actually I%26#39;m closer to my 30%26#39;s and most of my friends are in their late 30%26#39;s.



For breakfast, try The Breakfast Klub. Not open on Sunday%26#39;s and you%26#39;re guaranteed to wait in line on Sat. The line moves pretty quickly and there is always a table available, plus the food is worth it. You%26#39;ll find items such as wings and a waffle, or my favorite the French Toast, comes with the best french toast I%26#39;ve ever had, plus your style eggs and either bacon or sausage.




Thanks to all. I%26#39;ll check out the Breakfast Klub for breakfast. I guess we will have to play it by ear for our southern cuisine options.




Hi Alonsocyn,





I am French, so please do not pay to much attention to my English... I go to Houston every 6 months for business and I usually stay the week-end. I saw your post and as it started in 2003, I wanted to know what are the new trendy spots to go for 30-something?



I heard about Belvedere, Next, Hush, etc but there are still trendy... A long time ago (1999!) I used to go to Mercury Room, State bar and John%26#39;s but when i came back recently, those places have changed a lot and I do not know if Downtown is still the place to be...



Many thanks,





Herve




I think you must mean Farrago on West Gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment