Thursday, April 26, 2012

Moving to Victoria

I have never lived or even visited anywhere in Texas. I have just received an offer to move and work in Victoria. I will be flying out at the end of this week for a ';look-see';. However, I would like to ask whether anyone has lived in Victoria and can provide me the ';scoop';. Is the cost of living decent? Would someone be able to live on $50,000 a year reasonably well or would it be a struggle for a family of 3 with only one provider? Are houses affordable? What areas should you stay away from when looking for housing? I am a single parent and worry about unsafe neighborhoods. Is it possible to provide loose parameters within the City to guide me where the safer neighborhoods are located? Does anyone know the best area to live if money was no object and where you could live comfortably and fashionably with out breaking the bank? What is there to do in Victoria. What do the locals do for fun? Are there decent restaurants in Victoria? Any type of information about Victoria would be greatly appreciated. Heather



Moving to Victoria


I lived in Victoria for about 5 years (quite a while ago) and my parents still live there. It%26#39;s a nice city to live in, I think, although for a Yankee born and bred, the accents were a bit much for me at first. I don%26#39;t know exactly what houses go for there, but you might try looking for something that is even in the downtown area, but be careful that it%26#39;s west of Navarro. Some neighborhoods near the college are good, too. The further north you go, the more expensive they%26#39;ll be, I think. What is there to do in Victoria? Rodeos, fairs, clubbing, esp. if you like country western dancing, but even if you don%26#39;t, I%26#39;m sure (I used to go out all the time, lived there in my 20%26#39;s, had a child while I was there, went to college there.) There are festivals at different times of year--if you ever get out to that Different Foods Festival (I forget what they call it), go! It%26#39;s really fabulous. Great selection of restaurants in Victoria!! I cold eat out all the time there. Biggest drawback is if you want to go to a bigger city, it%26#39;s a 2-hour drive in nearly any direction. But if you go to one, choose Austin! I lived there too and it%26#39;s a fabulous city to live in, even though much more expensive.--WW



Moving to Victoria


Hello, Victoria is a great place to live, you could live very well on $50,000 a year, houses by the college are nice, also houses on the north end of town are nice, I just bought a 2000 sq ft house by the college for $75,000, it needs some updating but it%26#39;s a great house, if you have kids you%26#39;ll probably want to live in a good school district, neighborhoods like Northcrest, castle Hills, Castle Hills West and Country Club Village are good neighborhoods, you can search the victoria MLS by subdivision/neighborhood on some of the victoria real estate sites, I know you can search via redding realty and woolson real estate (I%26#39;m not affiliated with either one, but if you want to search online for housing you could start there) What do the locals do in Victoria? They get out of town for the weekends...in Victoria you are about a 2 hour drive from The Hill Country, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Corpus Christi, and beaches in Galveston and Port Aransas. When I was growing up my family usually took day trips out of town on Saturdays, great shopping and culture in San Antone, Houston, Austin, etc, great place to live, but I%26#39;m biased, I%26#39;m from there.




I lived in Victoria until 1976 when I graduated from HS and went to college, like all my competitive but friends from the top 10% of what used to be called Victoria HS, and never came back. Personally, my wife and I live in Houston.



I am somewhat surprised at the salary you mentioned. Did the offer come from Halliburton,Exxon/Mobil or some other gas related company?



As for food, __________ nothing but the 70%26#39;s.




I would like to know if you moved to Victoria because I am thinking about doing that. I live in California and I want to move out of this state but I can%26#39;t decide between moving to New Mexico or Texas. If you are now living in Victoria what do you think about the city? Is it a good place to live? Are you happy living there? How about the weather? I would appreciate any kind of information. I visited Victoria and other cities in Texas about six years ago, but I know visiting and living in a city is not the same thing. Thank you.





Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment