Friday, April 27, 2012

a quick school question

for a lot of real estate listings I see alternately

';Northside'; and ';Northside ISD';

Are these the same school district? Or are the different? There are too many zip codes in SA, and I%26#39;m getting completely lost!! I%26#39;m starting to panic....

a quick school question

Northside and Northside ISD are the same district. The ';ISD'; is an abbreviation for ';Independent School District';. Unlike other areas of the country, in Texas you%26#39;ll find that major metropolitan areas will have multiple school districts, generally organized by geographic areas, but tthe school district boundaries can overlap governmental or municipality boundaries. That%26#39;s essentially why they are independent., they are not run by a city or county entity.

For instance, in the San Antonio area, there are multiple school districts such as Northside, Northeast (as opposed to Northside), San Antonio, East Central, Alamo Heights, Comal, Harlendale, etc.. Each is entirely distinct and operates independently from the others

My sister lives in San Antonio, but her children attend schools in the Alamo Heights ISD.

a quick school question

okay - that makes sense.

In one area I%26#39;ve been searching, I see ';Northside';, and then ';NorthEast ISD';. The NE ISD - is this a good school district? I read the previous threads on this topic, but then someone told me it was a bad school system. (I don%26#39;t usually take this person%26#39;s advice but i thought I would check and see if anyone else has an opinion)

Also: I like the Stone Oak area and want to live there, but will the bussing problem be resolved by the time I need to send my oldest to kindergarden (2008)? I read that they are building new schools - but I am reading some conflicting reports on the dates...should I just stay away from Stone Oak?

thanks for all your help!


Within most districts there are better and worse areas. For example in NorthEast the schools that feed Roosevelt and Robert E Lee High Schools might be considered less desireable. If you%26#39;ve read my previous threads you know I%26#39;m an advocate of Alamo Heights school district. Smaller community - one highschool, one middle school, two elementaries and one early learining center.


thanks Octoboy. Unfortunately my realtor does not appear to have a good grasp on the school situation.

Do you know where I might be able to find more information on the bussing situation in Sone Oak? Should I call a particular school district to get the dates nailed down?


here%26#39;s some info on that: neisd.net/boundaries/…20Reagan_Bush.pdf

it has more to do with capping the middle and high schools until others are built. as far as i know, it won%26#39;t affect your little one at all.

also, here%26#39;s an interesting post from the past about the 78258 area (despite my rambling)..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60956-i76-k637366…


thanks - i%26#39;ve been trying to read all the old threads that might be relevant.

I%26#39;m just trying to narrow things down as much as possible - there is an overwhelming number of houses for sale, and it%26#39;s been getting really hard to focus. It seems to me that all the schools in the north central/northwest sections are nice.....I hope I%26#39;m right about that!


You might find all the information you need at neisd.net the for the Northeast Independent School District. By the way they had the highest number or exemplary schools in the San Antonio area. The Northside website is nisd.net.

I would call the NE school district to find out about the new schools and the bus situation. Sometimes changes occur in the middle of the school year due to overcrowding etc.

Northside is building a ton of new schools as well.


Just a thought - I work for a large public school district and virtually all of the information on the website has a distinctly pro-district bias. Everything is true, but ...


that is exactly why I ask these questions Octoboy. I found that reading the school districts%26#39; websites was not going to tell me about the problems they have, etc.

I have found it%26#39;s always better to ask people%26#39;s opinions... :)

And now I%26#39;m waffling between Stone Oak and a couple homes in the Helotes area. *sigh* we%26#39;re coming to SA for house hunting in a week!

I have never been to SA before, so we are planning on trying every asian restaurant we can. We%26#39;ll be hitting all the sushi bars and Chinese places, so I%26#39;ll report our findings when we get back.

:)


A lot of factors have to be considered when choosing a school...Tradition,teacher to student ratio,gang activity,.sports programs,solid music program,etc...For these reasons and more Alamo heights is a great choice...If you desire a newer home,I would look at the Boerne area...For a little more affordable,look at Reagan HS area...Good Luck.....3 solid choices...

  • difference between vista
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment