Monday, April 16, 2012

Weather in Dallas

How would you describe the weather in Dallas throughtout the year? I%26#39;m moving from Los Angeles, CA. We get rain and cold nights but over all the weather is wonderful and very mild.



Weather in Dallas


Sometimes extreme- oftentimes not for the faint of heart. Definitely not regularly wonderful or mild. Here%26#39;s a connection to weather underground showing highs and lows





www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp…



Weather in Dallas


Now, PoodleOne, a string of 30+ days of greater than 100 degrees does not a year make. I think our weather is mostly just great. I think we%26#39;re more pleasant than southern California in lots of ways (climatewise as well as otherise). Although, at the moment, I feel like I%26#39;m living in CA again as I%26#39;m spending so much time here on business.




But you have to admit that most folks from Southern California don%26#39;t come here and rave about how great the weather is- especially in August! ;-) I am coming up on 50 years in Texas and can%26#39;t think of too many people who move here who LOVE our little bouts of 100%26#39;s or the blue northers either. However, there%26#39;s still lots to love. And I like to be hot! :-)




I%26#39;ve been to SoCal a few times during the summer months and have just about frozen!!! At the beach, I had on a sweatshirt and jeans - forget about going in the ocean!!



I%26#39;ve heard some friends who have moved here from SoCal to Dallas say that we have more ';seasons';...which sounds crazy to me having grown up in Michigan where they really have ';seasons';.




Thanks for replying to my post! Do you spend a lot of money on you electricity bills during the hot summer months? I%26#39;m thinking of purchasing a 3000+ square ft. home and I was wondering how high my electrical bill will be because of the hot weather and the size of my home.




I don%26#39;t know if we know what%26#39;s a normal electric bill anymore. Deregulation has increased prices, not lowered them. I think it depends so much on the house, the insulation, location of trees and all sorts of things that you really can%26#39;t say anything other than to check the rates with the various electric companies and if you%26#39;re buying a used home ask for the last year%26#39;s printouts of the utility bills.





My highest electric bill this summer was $725 and my home is about 2500 square feet. That bill was $300 to $400 higher than the highest bills prior to deregulation and the skyrocketing fuel costs.





Other neighbors I know paid upwards of $1000 for their homes. But we all primarily live in old houses, a new house that%26#39;s built for fuel efficiency might do much better.




June is the coldest month in LA, and you will freeze your buns off any time in San Francisco.





see http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp for that famous supposed Mark Twain quote





I do like Texas weather better, but don%26#39;t get me wrong, I love CA, too.





I always find it humorous to watch those beach movies of folks swimming in southern CA. If you go to the beach here, very few people actually get into the water until you get down around Redondo Beach. There are lots of people on the beaches, but just dipping toes in the water is as far as most folks want to get in the water. Folks who surf in the LA area generally are seen in wet suits.




This question is for ChrystinP. It seems like you%26#39;ve lived in both LA or someplace in California and Dallas, Texas what are the differences between the two? Thanks!




Yes, I%26#39;ve lived in both southern CA and Dallas. I really love both areas and am fortunate to get to go back to CA fairly often. Lately I%26#39;ve been spending a lot of time in the San Diego to Orange County areas, been driving the 5 and 405 quite a lot. Next week I%26#39;m going to San Jose for the first time ever, so that should be fun.





Financially the biggest difference is that you get a lot more bang for your buck in housing. I paid the same amount for my home in CA that I did in Dallas, but the huge difference was I got to buy a home in Dallas in an intown neighborhood, whereas in CA I had to buy a home 50 miles from LA to find anything in our price range that we actually wanted to buy.





There are no ad valorem taxes on cars here so you%26#39;ll pay less than $100 for your license plates. You may pay more for insurance because we have hail here. However, if you qualify for 21st Century in CA you%26#39;ll qualify for 21st Century in TX (I went back to State Farm after moving from CA because at that time 21st Century --which was then 20th Century--wasn%26#39;t available here and now that they%26#39;re here we won%26#39;t leave State Farm because they%26#39;ve treated us so well through multiple problems over the years).





Property taxes are similar. Texas has pretty high property taxes because we don%26#39;t have personal income tax, but you won%26#39;t see much difference coming from CA.





As mentioned above, we don%26#39;t have personal income taxes so you%26#39;ll have that money in your own pocket.





We%26#39;ve pretty well covered weather. Texas has more definitive winter weather than southern CA but has many winter days that are quite comfortable. For instance, today was gorgeous and lots of folks were out in short-sleeved shirts. Definitely nothing in CA outside of the desert areas that touches our summer.





You can get a season ticket to the Dallas Theater Center for as little as $50 or so. Concert prices and that sort of thing are comparable, but other items like local live theater and cinema are less expensive than CA.





Texas is part of the bible-belt and folks are church-oriented.





A huge positive of living in Dallas is that Fort Worth is so close. I love Fort Worth. Radically different city than Dallas and lots to do there, too. There are always many activities going on in both cities and there is no reason anyone should be bored here.

No comments:

Post a Comment